Friday, February 22, 2008

February 22nd



Well, I didn't make it to school today but through the wonder of the World Wide Web, I can still be the scribe. If anything important math-related happened to occur today, I would ask that one of my classmates would share it, either with a comment or a separate blog post. I found this picture on the Internet and thought it somewhat applicable.




I think Luke summarized yesterday's class fairly well so I don't need to add much to that. The one other thing I was going to mention is that Mr. Maksymchuk has handed out Accelerated Math sheets to us and he also gave us the scantron sheets. I think everyone understands how to use a scantron sheet, but just in case someone doesn't, I'll give a few pointers. Remember to use pencil only! A good idea is to write your name on it first, then fill in if it is a practice, exercise, or test, then fill in the numbers from the top of your question sheet. After that, it's a simple matter of filling in the answers from your sheet.

Something else I would like to point out is that Mr. Maksymchuk added a window (I think that's the proper blogger term to use) into another Grade 12 Precalc blog. I would advise everyone to check it out as it is an excellent blog (as is ours) and I think it has a lot of good stuff on it.
For the questions assigned from Exercises 5 and 6, I had to use the answer key for the first couple of questions because I either didn't know or had forgotten what "general solution" meant. Here's the dictionary.com definition:
general solution
–noun Mathematics.
a solution to a differential equation that contains arbitrary, unevaluated constants
Basically, it means the whole solution, not just the solution over a set interval. Or that is my understanding of it.
If anyone has any questions or suggestions about making my post better, please leave a comment and I'll try to get on it ASAP.
Bethany

2 comments:

Ryan Maksymchuk said...

Bethany,

Isn't the internet great?

Do you think the honeymoon is still on for oldsters like myself....I remember the hard drive on my first home PC had a 250 MB (yes, MB) hard drive (yes, hard drive)...now I have a 512 MB flash drive hanging on my key chain....What a world...

Thanks so much for your above-average communication skills, your sincerity, and your smile. Have a great day whenever you read this...

Icky Booger said...

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates functions and/or its derivatives to each other, so your dictionary definition of a general solution is a little off; it is not a very general definition, so to say. ;)